***********************************

On Gallbladders, Writing Conferences, and Theme Parks

Yeah, random stuff coming your way. You've been warned.

First off, the Great Gallbladder Strikeout.

This is a disgustingly cute plush gallbladder toy.
Source << Where to buy it. Seriously. They sell these things.
Two weeks of incredibly I'd-rather-give-birth kind of pain, people. It was neither cute nor funny. My gallbladder was letting itself be known--such a drama queen the little thing was, pshaw!--and it tormented me daily with pain that would last as long as 5 and 1/2 hours (yeah, I passed out on the bed, only to awaken to more pain) on a really bad day, 1 hour on a good day. I couldn't take care of my kids or my baby boy. One time, I drove my boys to their doctor's appointment, and on the way home, my stomach started hurting. My fingers made a dent on that steering wheel, I kid you not. I was determined to make it home alive, with my boys unharmed from a possible vehicular accident. (Mind you, I wasn't being completely stupid driving while in pain.  I knew that I would have to pull over if it became too intense for me to handle.) Thankfully, we made it home and then I promptly passed out in my room (after handing the boys over to grandma's care).

It's been 3 1/2 weeks since the surgery. I'm pain-free, I'm happy, I'm healthy and getting stronger each day, and no way do I miss my gallbladder. Thank goodness for modern medicine (and for a wonderful surgeon).

PSA: To learn more about cholelithiasis (gallstone) and cholecystitis (gallbladder inflammation), check out these links:

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/understanding-gallstones-basics

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tc/cholecystitis-overview


Next up: The LDStorymaker conference

Before the gallbladder strikeout, I had purchased a ticket for a Saturday session at the LDStorymaker conference (May 10 & 11) in Provo, Utah. It was my first time to attend a writer's conference, and I almost didn't make it because people, in real life, I'm an extremely shy person. Yessiree, my good pal Bethany Crandell had to talk me into going. She wasn't going to be there, but she's such an awesome friend she just knew I needed someone--her--to push me out of my comfort zone. (She'd probably push me off the cliff too if that would make me fly, if you know what I mean. This gal pal of mine is a real treasure, I tell ya.) So I got me a ticket months before the conference, months before I knew I was going to have surgery. Luckily for me, two days before the conference, my surgeon gave me the go-ahead: I was finally allowed to do whatever I want, even to pick up and carry the baby, except powerlifting and weight-lifting. And since attending the conference did not require any dumbbells but only stamina to endure a whole day of sitting down, scribbling notes, and chatting up with fellow writers, away I went.

It was FUN! It was INFORMATIVE! Was I nervous? Yes, but as I didn't have to pitch to any agents or editors there, it wasn't stressful. I got to meet my online writer friends (LOTS of HUGS and HAPPY SQUEALS all around) and I also learned a TON about writing and publishing. Methinks I'll have to blog about this in another post. Also, there are pictures, but I'll have to steal them from Shelly Brown someday. My iPhone camera was full, and I couldn't take anymore pics, except for one (but it wasn't very good so I stole Robin Hall's photo instead).

With my lovely agency sister, Robin Hall!
Sorry I stole your picture, Robin. But don't you agree we look better in this pic than the one I took?
:-D

Anyway, I was glad I went, even if I had to leave a wee bit early because I ran out of steam (it had only been 2 weeks post-surgery, and my energy level wasn't up to par yet). The moral of the story?

This is my notebook where I jot down outlines and plots and ideas.
I love it!
And finally, Disneyland!

The fam and I had a blast at Disneyland last week. The past month had been especially grueling for everyone because of my health issues, so going to Disneyland felt like a much needed reward-slash-reprieve for all of us. I'm not gonna go into details about what rides we went on, or how we liked Cars Land (we LOVED it!), or what the baby boy's favorite attraction was (the Enchanted Tiki Room!). But I do have to say this: Disney sure knows how to entertain.

And if I really have to push it and tie Disneyland to writing, it would have to be this: That even (some) Disney rides follow a plot structure.



Have a great week, everyone!


12 comments:

Robin said...

The gallbladder is a bit scary:) I don't mind you borrowing my picture at all-lol. Now I know why I couldn't find you at the end of the conference. Glad you're starting to feel better!

Brandy Shockley said...

I'm also down a gallbladder, and I don't miss mine a bit! Gallbladder, shmallbladder! :)

Congrats on facing down the conference!

Anonymous said...

Whew, you've been busy! I'd probably need a friend to push me out the door and to a conference, but in the end, I'd have a blast.

Angela V. Cook said...

So happy to hear you're feeling better :) And good for you for conquering your fears and going to the conference! :)

Emily R. King said...

Wow! No more gallbladder problems, fun at Storymakers, and partying in Disneyland? Sounds like you're having a great month!

It was a pleasure to meet you in person, Precy!

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

It was so good to meet you. I am very happy to hear that the pain is gone.
You can take whatever pics you find on Facebook and use them as you please :)

Shallee said...

You are freaking amazing. I'm so impressed by how you stuck it out and had a great time so soon after surgery. It was so fun to meet you at Storymakers!

Angie Sandro said...

You are Wonder Woman! So glad you're feeling better and enjoying yourself. Welcome back :)

Jennie Bennett said...

So glad you're feeling better and that you were able to come to the conference. It was so fun to finally meet you :)

Joyce Alton / @joycealton said...

I'm so glad you're doing better. I had to have that surgery right after my first child. It's no fun.

The conference sounded great. I've wondered about going to some of the Utah conferences, since they're the biggest conferences near my geographical area. Nice to get good feedback on one of these.

Cheryl B. Dale said...

Gallbladder--been there, done that, no fun.

Writing conference--been there, done that, so-so.

Disneyland--been there, done that, loads of fun.

I can empathize!

Leslie said...

Somehow I missed this post before Storymakers and when I overheard someone asking how you were, I was amazed you were at the conference so soon after your surgery and I was so glad you made it there! Hope every day is even better than the last and you continue to heal.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

Precy Larkins's books on Goodreads
Winter's Regret: What Might Have Been Winter's Regret: What Might Have Been
reviews: 2
ratings: 4 (avg rating 5.00)

Followers

READING CHALLENGE

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Precy has read 10 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Blog Archive

My Blog List

BOOKS!!

Precy's bookshelf: read

Whispering Minds
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Night of Cake & Puppets
The Fault in Our Stars
The Return of the King
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
The Last Olympian
The Hundred: Fall of the Wents
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Hunger Games
Wonder
The Founders' Code
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
The Two Towers
The Book Thief
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
The Lost Hero
Divergent
The Battle of the Labyrinth


Precy Larkins's favorite books »