***********************************

Because I Was a Reader First Before I Became a Writer

In Kindergarten, my first taste of reading came from tediously going through each page of the phonics textbook. Every night, my mom (who is ever patient by the way, and reads my blog so Hi Mom! *waves*) would help me sound off each syllable ba, be, bi, bo, bu. Followed by the list of sample words underneath it: bat, barometer, barrista, and er...batman? Okay, I'm sure they were simpler, more age-appropriate words but it's been years since I was five and I just woke up, alright?

Anyway, it was grueling. I'm not kidding. Each page was covered with words and more words. This was work, people. No goofing around the -ghts and the -ings. It was a memory test, a drill to get those sight words embedded into the soft, mushy part of your head that is your brain. (I told you my mom was patient.)

I'm sure I cried, protested, feigned sleep a dozen times to get out of it. The only consolation I got was from the little snippets of stories included after rows and rows of gag-inducing words. I remember vividly this one about the milk maid who was off to town to sell the bucket of milk sitting atop her head. While she's walking, she's dreaming of what she can do once she gets money for it. First, she'd buy an egg, which would turn into a hen. The hen will lay her more eggs, which she will sell so she can get a cow. The money that she gets from the eggs and the milk will be enough to buy herself a dress. She would then go to town and dance, and a handsome young man will ask her to be his partner. She would tilt her head and curtsey like so and...down went the bucket of milk she had on top of her head. No milk, no egg; no egg, no hen; no hen, no eggs, no cow; no cow, no milk, no dress.

So before I became a writer, I was a reader. Still am. Reading is easy. Reading is fun. But writing can be a grueling, tedious endeavor, and it is sometimes easier to dream like the milk maid. We sit down to write and muse on dreams of grandeur, of seeing ourselves signing books like a rockstar, maybe even throw in some fame and fortune (and a brand new car!) while we're fantasizing. Daydreams take a chunk off your time and imagination, just so you know. Before you know it, the kids are awake and demanding to be fed; the house is a pigsty; the chore list is three miles long; and hey, what is that strange-looking stain on the carpet, and down goes the bucket of milk atop your head.

Still, I write and keep on writing. 'Cause I know if I'm patient enough, if I can endure the ultimate phonics test while only five, I can turn that bucket of milk into a dress.

11 comments:

Sarah Gagnon said...

I love it. I may in fact be writing with a bucket on my head.

Anita Grace Howard said...

Ah, what a brilliant post! LOVE it! You know what I kept picturing? That scene in Disney's The Jungle Book where the little native girl is carrying a bucket of water on her head.

Keep up the writing, girl. I want to see that dress hanging on a rack one of these days. ;)

Precy Larkins said...

Aw thanks guys!

@Sarah: it does feel that way, doesn't it?

@Anita: your dress looks good on you. Can't wait to see your book on the shelves. Is it making rounds with the pubs right now? Or did you already get a deal? I'm sure you'll let us know, right? Then we can all do the happy dance together. ;)

Caitlin Vincent said...

Great post, Cherie! Love the imagery :)

Krystal Nielson said...

I have read your excellent post. This is a great job. I have enjoyed reading your post first time. I want to say thanks for this post. Thank you.
car removal caboolture
enviro scrap metal caboolture

Car Removals NSW said...

Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work
Car Removal Wollongong

Hashtag Car Removal said...

Great post and very informative post. At Hashtag Car Removal, you will get fast and easy cash for cars service. We are a reliable company all over Sydney NSW that pays up to $7,999 for any scrap, junk, or unwanted cars. Our expert team will remove your 4×4, ute, SUV, vans, or trucks the very same day for FREE. car buyer sydney

sabrina sam said...

At Car Wreckers Gold Coast pay instant top dollars against your scrap, used, old, and unwanted cars in Acacia Ridge. If you are looking for a hassle-free used car for cash services and same-day free car removal, then you have come to the right place.

Car Wreckers said...

Our Scrap Car Removal Adelaide is convenient and hassle-free, as we deal with everything, right down to the paperwork. We serve all suburbs in Adelaide and never haggle over the price. We always offer you the most for your unwanted vehicle removal in Adelaide. Contact us today to get an instant cash offer. We buy Cars, Ute, SUV, Truck, Vans and 4x4. Don’t waste precious time on a car sale, We are ready to buy with top dollar cash ready to be in your pocket.

Speedy said...

Speedy Cash For Cars proudly accept vehicles all around Brisbane and its surrounding areas. Make sure you let us know precisely where you need to get your vehicle picked up from and we will help you take care of it. If you’re based in Brisbane then our expert tow drivers also provides Cash For Scrap Cars Logan and its nearest regions.

Melissa McCarthy said...

We are the leading car wreckers & car recycling company—the Scrap Car Removal Logan for your Old & Scrap Car service. We are famous for providing fast and fair cash for cars in Sherwood, Australia. We will do free pickup, and on-the-spot payment for all vehicle makes and models.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

Precy Larkins's books on Goodreads
Winter's Regret: What Might Have Been Winter's Regret: What Might Have Been
reviews: 2
ratings: 4 (avg rating 5.00)

Followers

READING CHALLENGE

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Precy has read 10 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Blog Archive

My Blog List

BOOKS!!

Precy's bookshelf: read

Whispering Minds
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Night of Cake & Puppets
The Fault in Our Stars
The Return of the King
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
The Last Olympian
The Hundred: Fall of the Wents
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Hunger Games
Wonder
The Founders' Code
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
The Two Towers
The Book Thief
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
The Lost Hero
Divergent
The Battle of the Labyrinth


Precy Larkins's favorite books »