***********************************

Book Spotlight: THE NIGHT CIRCUS by Erin Morgenstern

Hello, hello! It's September already, can you believe it? Soon it will be Christmas, and then 2013 will come rushing in. Yes, I know, it's too early to say such things. But really, in the Philippines, people start putting up Christmas trees and lights in September. No kidding. If you go to the mall, chances are, you'll be singing Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer along with the music blasting from every corner. Since they don't  celebrate Thanksgiving, Christmas is the most anticipated holiday.

A-nee-way, that's not what I came here for. Not to talk about Christmas, but BOOKS! (Man, I'm such a scatterbrained mama. That was the worst intro to a book spotlight EVAH. Forgive me. I only get a few hours of sleep each night.) Since I can't do much (read: any) writing these days, I've been reading a lot of books. See, it's doable. When I'm feeding the baby, I only need to get the book propped up just so and voila! I'm reading. Hooray for efficient multitasking! I believe I have read about 21 books since baby boy was born a month and a half ago. Not bad for someone whose life is soooo crazy at the moment.


Blurb and image from Goodreads:


The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des RĂªves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.

Written in rich, seductive prose, this spell-casting novel is a feast for the senses and the heart.


Author:

Erin Morgenstern is a writer and a multimedia artist, who describes all her work as "fairy tales in one way or another." She grew up in Marshfield, Massachusetts. She currently lives in Boston, Massachusetts with two very fluffy cats. The Night Circus is her debut novel.

You can visit her website at http://erinmorgenstern.com/

The Book: Adult Fantasy

I absolutely enjoyed this book. I first heard of it from the Golden Eagle of The Eagle's Aerial Perspective when she posted a teaser about the book on her blog. It caught my attention and I quickly jotted down the title and author's name on my TBR list.

Things I loved about this book:

~the otherworldly atmosphere
~the prose
~the multiple, varied POVs (which added to the atmosphere. No, really. It worked beautifully.)
~the magical feel of the circus
~the sense of mystery

I'm a sucker for books with atmospheric, unusual settings. The circus itself is very much a character in this story.  There's magic, there's love, and there's a game with deadly consequences. Really, a must read. :)

What have you read lately? There's always room in my TBR list, so fire away the recommendations! I'll post more book spotlights. I've read so many good books lately, it'd be a shame not to share.

15 comments:

Cristina said...

oh, The Night Circus is one of my favorite books.

I just finished reading The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. It was really, really good. I've also read "Code Name Verity" which was fantastic.

Can't wait to find out what else you've read :)

Anonymous said...

I've had this for months. I keep meaning to put it higher up my TBR pile.

I'm enjoying Janet Gurtler's WHO I KISSED and Sarah Dessen's ALONG FOR THE RIDE.

Anita Grace Howard said...

Hey Sparkly! So proud of all the reads you're getting in! Multi tasking wonder mom. :)

I started this one a while back and LOVE the prose. I'll return to it as soon as I'm done writing my WIP. At the moment, I don't have time for anything else. Gah.

BTW, I'm w/you on the settings coming to life and becoming a character in the story! Kind of like Wuthering Heights.

#goatwub and your little goats, too!

Anita Grace Howard said...

That was s'posed to say #goatwub YOU and your little goats, too. HEH

Unknown said...

I'm dying to read this book. It sounds wonderful -- so unusual and otherworldly. Now you've made me practically salivate to get my hands on it. Maybe I'll be lucky and it'll turn up in a library here. *crosses fingers* (Though the chance of it turning up in Egypt isn't too good...)

Tara Tyler said...

i loved it too!
enchanting! and the descriptions were sensual and beautifully written!

Rachna Chhabria said...

I have heard so much about the Night Circus, I am adding it to my TBR pile.

Cheryl B. Dale said...

Twenty-one books! And with a baby! At six weeks, that averages...what, 3-4 a week? (Math isn't my thing, guess you can tell.)

I'm impressed!!!

Golden Eagle said...

Thanks for the shout-out! :)

I loved the book for some of the same reasons. The atmosphere was stunning.

Jessie Humphries said...

I adored this book! I am totally a reveur

A. Lynden Rolland said...

I can't believe how quickly this year has flown by! But I still don't mind the xmas stuff coming out- I'm a Christmas junkie, so as soon as Halloween is over, it's on! Thanks for featuring this book- it seems to be right up my alley! Take care of those little ones especially that adorable little baby!!!

LTM said...

I haven't read this book, but I've been hearing a lot about it! Must check it out. Hope that baby's doing great! <3

Jennie Bennett said...

I've heard others recommend this book. I should really pick it up. How are you and baby? My new little one is here and I am loving the newborn cuddles :)

Shallee said...

I've heard some cool things about this! Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you're getting some good reading in with the baby around. :)

Marlene Detierro said...

This is one of my bookclub choices for this year too, and it will be very interesting to hear what the ladies think of it because it is not their normal type of read at all!

It will also give me a chance to reread it I think! I suspect that I inhaled it so quickly the first time through that I need a reread to see what I missed!

Marlene Detierro (Alaska Fishing Lodge)

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

Precy Larkins's books on Goodreads
Winter's Regret: What Might Have Been Winter's Regret: What Might Have Been
reviews: 2
ratings: 4 (avg rating 5.00)

Followers

READING CHALLENGE

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Precy has read 10 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Blog Archive

My Blog List

BOOKS!!

Precy's bookshelf: read

Whispering Minds
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Night of Cake & Puppets
The Fault in Our Stars
The Return of the King
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
The Last Olympian
The Hundred: Fall of the Wents
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Hunger Games
Wonder
The Founders' Code
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
The Two Towers
The Book Thief
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
The Lost Hero
Divergent
The Battle of the Labyrinth


Precy Larkins's favorite books »