***********************************

Alooooha!

What? It's 2013 already?

I haven't blogged for aeons, but I'm not going to apologize for it. Sometimes, it's just not possible and that's just the way it is. The clock keeps on ticking and life keeps demanding for attention. Priorities matter, and unless I'm finally able to clone myself, I can't do everything.

So. 2013. A new year, a new beginning, eh? And countless possibilities. My family and I kicked off the new year with a trip to the lovely, and ever sunny, Aloha state of Hawai'i. We left behind the snow and cold for tropical smoothies and sun-kissed beaches. It was fun to take my kids to the places that were meaningful to me and my husband. (Backstory: I lived there while going to school. Hubs and I were both students at the same university. We fell in love and got married, before moving to another state. Some people thought we were crazy for leaving paradise. On cold winter days, I believe them. ;D)



View from our hotel deck

Anyway, I didn't write while I was away. I didn't read. Or think. I just let myself be in the moment. It was wonderful, and a much needed break. Last November, I was struggling with my NaNoWriMo WIP. It wasn't that I had writer's block--in fact, I wrote almost everyday until baby boy got sick with a nasty ear infection, and then writing was impossible after that. It was that the WIP was a truly a work-in-progress--a very rough, cringeworthy first draft. It didn't feel right--the tone, the voice, the plot. I loved my characters, but the writing was just...just meh.

I'm not a fast drafter. I take my time because I want to get it right--or close to right--the first time. Some would think this is counterproductive. We're taught to learn how to word vomit then do tons of revisions after. I'm not this way. I don't word vomit--I carefully measure my words the first time around because I know that voice and tone are a lot harder to revise later on. So anyway, I eventually finished NaNo with 30K words. Not bad at all, even though I didn't win.

December came. I restarted my NaNo WIP from scratch, using what I've written during November as reference. The holidays are always hectic so I had to make room for that, which meant, not a lot of writing got done. Then after Christmas came, it was time to start packing. I hammered out almost 2K of new words before we were out the door. I didn't bring my laptop with me so I wouldn't be tempted to work during our vacation.

Now we're home and I'm back to writing. The words come easily because I've had time to recharge mentally. I'm in love with the WIP all over again. Which is always a good thing.

So, if you don't see me around the web, I'm probably having a date with my Word doc, in the world of Sleepy Eye town and its inhabitants. I'm 3 chapters in so I have a loooong way to go, but I'm the tortoise, not the hare. I will get to the end and I will win. There are no other options.

I'm closing this post with a big ALOHA to all of you! I hope you all had a great start to your New Year, too.

12 comments:

Angela V. Cook said...

Happy New Year to you!!

I'm a slow drafter, too (well, compared to some people). Even so, I still consider my first drafts a hot mess, lol. Ah well. As long as I can push out one completed novel a year, I'm happy :)

Glad to hear you had a nice and relaxing vacation. Sometimes it's nice to put aside the writing and reading and just enjoy the moment :)

Nick Wilford said...

Happy New Year! That sounds like an amazing place to start it. But I couldn't see the pic... :(

It's an interesting point about getting it almost right first time. I know for me revisions can be tortuous. But then I might end up changing things a lot, and having to write a lot of new material even after the first draft's done.

Glad you're back in the groove with the WIP! I also did NaNo, finishing up with 34k. I didn't write at all over the holidays, and this week was my first one back writing. It was hard to start but I'm getting there now!

Golden Eagle said...

Happy 2013! :)

Good luck with your WIP and hooray for loving the project again!

Unknown said...

Hawaii for New Year's? WOW!! That sounds like a dream come true to me.
Best wishes for 2013! :-)

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi, missed you. Hope you and the baby are doing well.

Cheryl B. Dale said...

Wondered where you were. Now I'm envious!

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I've always wanted to visit Hawaii.
Best wishes for 2013

Bethany Crandell said...

Mental Recharge--that's my new band. ♪♫♪♫♪

Glad you're home and writing again. The world needs more of your beautiful words.
Love you!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Aloha!!! Glad you got a mental recharge! Happy writing!

Simon Kewin said...

Aloha! Have a great 2013.

Anonymous said...

Aloha and cheers to a great 2013! I just got back from a 5 day cruise, and it was sooo nice to not do a darn thing for once!

Anonymous said...

"I'm the tortoise, not the hare. I will get to the end and I will win. There are no other options."- Wow, best words for this new week!
I've been mad at myself for writing my third draft at a pretty slow pace. Nice to see those words up there!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

Precy Larkins's books on Goodreads
Winter's Regret: What Might Have Been Winter's Regret: What Might Have Been
reviews: 2
ratings: 4 (avg rating 5.00)

Followers

READING CHALLENGE

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Precy has read 10 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Blog Archive

My Blog List

BOOKS!!

Precy's bookshelf: read

Whispering Minds
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Night of Cake & Puppets
The Fault in Our Stars
The Return of the King
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
The Last Olympian
The Hundred: Fall of the Wents
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Hunger Games
Wonder
The Founders' Code
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
The Two Towers
The Book Thief
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
The Lost Hero
Divergent
The Battle of the Labyrinth


Precy Larkins's favorite books »