***********************************

The Next Big Thing Blog Hop

My lovely friend Amy Trueblood of Chasing The Crazies tagged me in a bookish meme/blog hop called The Next Big Thing. I'm doing NaNoWriMo so I'll be quick about it. :)

1. What is the working title of your book?

MEDIUM. I sucketh at titles. When I save my files, I usually designate a one-word file name to help me remember what's in the file, or which manuscript is languishing in said file. Such is the case here. 

2. Where did the idea come from for the book?

Can I say TV? Or you can just go read my answer to Question # 8.

3. What genre does your book fall under?

YA Paranormal Horror, probably. I'm still trying to get an exact feel for it. I do mash-ups a lot, so I won't be surprised if this changes along the way. I usually write Fantasy.

4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Er, never good with actors' names. Let me go find some visuals of what I think my characters look like, instead.

(Disclaimer: I don't own these images. I don't own their copyrights. I've listed the sources of where I found them on the web. I did my best looking for the original source, honest. So don't sue me.)

Ellie: She's very girl-next-door, and she's always wearing jackets or sweaters to cover up the burn scars on her arms.

Pinned Image
source (via Pinterest)

Dean: Ellie's Stetson-wearing, guitar-toting best friend.

Pinned Image
This is Lucas Till. He's an actor! So there's one for you.
Image Source (via Pinterest)
 

5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

As the residents of Sleepy Eye town begin disappearing one by one, sixteen-year-old spirit medium Ellie Reid must find the ghosts responsible before she's next to vanish without a trace.


6. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

Eh, I'm working on it right now for NaNoWriMo, so with some luck and lots of sleepless nights, I hope to finish the first (stinking) draft in about 6 weeks. Maybe even 8. We'll see. It hasn't been easy getting wordage in with my new boss aka Baby having me work around the clock for him.

7. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Hmm...thinking, thinking. Ya know, I hardly ever think of comps for the books I write. I just write whatever niggles my brain. But I recently read some paranormal titles that I really liked: Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake, After Obsession by Carrie Jones and Steven E. Wedel, and Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann. These are NOT comp titles to my WIP, I repeat, not comps. I just like the setting and atmosphere in these stories, and I dearly hope I'll be able to recreate the same feelings I had reading these titles when I write my book.


8. Who or What inspired you to write this book?

While I was still pregnant with Boss Baby, I was so miserably hot (it was the middle of summer) that I spent a lot of time watching TV down in my cool (but not creepy) basement. I watched a lot of paranormal investigative shows. I may have freaked myself out a little, but I do like getting the willy-nillies, or heebie-jeebies, or...you get my drift. Basically, I just wanted to write a ghost story. Then Ellie came alive in my mind, and though I didn't have a plot then, I knew I wanted to voice her out. She's a bit of a walking contradiction (so unlike me 'cause I'm boring)--she's insecure but outspoken, she's needy but so giving, and she's brave even though the one thing she fears the most is her own self.


9. What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

Well, let's see...there are ghosts, there are seances, there are pretty boys, and oh yeah, Ellie borrowed her name from her guardians' great-great-grandmother because she doesn't have her own. (Ah, that last one probably doesn't make sense to you. It's ok. Just let me write the darn book first so you can read it. And then it'll make sense to you. Heh.)

I'm supposed to tag others but with most of my writer friends doing NaNo, I better not earn their wrath. So how about this: Think of a number.
.
.
.
.
You got it? Still thinking?
.
.
.
.
.
Ah, darn it. I ran out of dots. :) Now, if the number you're thinking of falls between 3 to 12, you're IT! Go and tell us what your Next Big Thing is!

Aaaaand, it's back to writing. Ciao!

14 comments:

Angela V. Cook said...

Your WIP sounds AWESOME! I love me a good paranormal ;-) Good luck with NaNo--but don't kill yourself trying to finish it! Take care of yourself, little momma :)

Rena said...

I love the way you picked your tags, that's hilarious. And Yeah, NaNo, the great seeker of time.

Anonymous said...

I'm totally loving the sound of this WIP! Ditto what Angela said - good luck with NaNo and take lots of breaks when you need them! We're rooting for you!!

Bethany Crandell said...

SQUEE!! This sounds AWESOME! I loves your stories so much and anything that gives me the heebers...I'm totally on board.

Precy Larkins said...

Awww, thank you, lovelies!

Golden Eagle said...

YA Paranormal Horror--sounds like a cool project. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like an awesome story - love the tease about her name - definitely want to know more!! :)

Jennie Bennett said...

That sounds so original and awesome. Love it!

Lori M. Lee said...

I love the sound of your book. Paranormal horror? I'm so on board!

Rachna Chhabria said...

I like the sound of this book. Boss baby is being naughty. Hugs to you and kisses to the baby.

Robin said...

I've always wanted to write a ghost story. I'm not courageous enough to post about this year's nano, but look at you, all out there and making sense even with Boss Baby.

Keep at it-you'll get that WC in and have you tried the Moby or the Sleepy Wrap? That's what I used when I wrote Nano last year. My then baby was born on 4 days before Nano-yikes. I still don't know how I did it, but writing that month was easier than once he was a few months old. They don't sleep as much and nobody is bringing you dinner:)

Cheryl B. Dale said...

New baby and NANO too! I'm impressed!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, I will bookmark and be back again.
I was very encouraged to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this special read. I definitely savored every little bit of it and I have bookmarked you to check out new stuff you post.
estetik

Unknown said...

Good efforts. All the best for future posts. I have bookmarked you. Well done. I read and like this post. Thanks..
Burun Estetiği

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

Precy Larkins's books on Goodreads
Winter's Regret: What Might Have Been Winter's Regret: What Might Have Been
reviews: 2
ratings: 4 (avg rating 5.00)

Followers

READING CHALLENGE

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Precy has read 10 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Blog Archive

My Blog List

BOOKS!!

Precy's bookshelf: read

Whispering Minds
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Night of Cake & Puppets
The Fault in Our Stars
The Return of the King
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
The Last Olympian
The Hundred: Fall of the Wents
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Hunger Games
Wonder
The Founders' Code
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
The Two Towers
The Book Thief
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
The Lost Hero
Divergent
The Battle of the Labyrinth


Precy Larkins's favorite books »