***********************************

M is for Music

My protagonist in my WIP Hidden is a piano player.

I don't play the piano. I started lessons when I was 8, but having short fingers doesn't really make for a good piano player. Besides, my true love was Art, so my mom switched me to art lessons instead. But my family are, curiously enough, musically inclined. With me as an exception. Both my sisters can play the piano. My youngest brother plays the violin (and is actually really good at it!). My dad knows how to play the saxophone. My other brothers play the guitar.  (Yes, I come from a big family. The more, the merrier, they say...)

So, having said that, I do love music, despite my musical ineptitude. I can listen to classical music all day. And because of this, it was only fitting that my protagonist should be good at something I'm not. :) In my WIP, these are the pieces mentioned. I hope you'll enjoy listening to them.

First off, Chopin's Minute Waltz, which is full of energy. My protagonist holds a dear memory of her playing this piece and her father listening to her rather catastrophic rendition.


Next up is Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, which is a perfect accompaniment to the first half of my manuscript. It perfectly sets the mood and atmosphere of my protagonist's struggle with her mental health, and the conflicts arising from her current situation (Don't wanna give away too much.) This is also the piece she played for the last time before her father's death.


The latter half of my story is best described through Debussy's Clair de Lune (which is also mentioned in the ms). It has an ethereal feel to it, at least to me it does, and it's the perfect backdrop for the events happening to my protagonist. She doesn't play this piece, but hears it on a CD player.

And lastly, my protagonist plays the piano at the end, something that would resemble the music of her soul. I don't state what it is in the ms, but I really connected with this piece: Debussy's Reverie. The title alone is so fitting for the ending. Plus this video rocks!

11 comments:

M.J. Fifield said...

I love listening to classical music.

I taught myself to play the piano but I never managed to learn the guitar.

Jemi Fraser said...

I like classical music too. I took piano lessons for a few years. I can play a bit - but my sister was always a joy to listen too :)

Julie Flanders said...

I always wanted to play the piano, but never had a knack for it. My fingers simply aren't coordinated enough LOL.

Love the music, especially the Moonlight Sonata.

Daisy Carter said...

I love classical music. I took piano lessons for years growing up, and to this day sitting down to play soothes me. One of my characters is a music lover, too! She talks about Hungarian Dance no. 5 - not one of my favorites, but definitely one of hers!

Love Reverie!

Daisy Carter said...

I love classical music. I took piano lessons for years growing up, and to this day sitting down to play soothes me. One of my characters is a music lover, too! She talks about Hungarian Dance no. 5 - not one of my favorites, but definitely one of hers!

Love Reverie!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Beautiful music - and great post! It's fun to write about characters that aren't just like us.

Cat Lavoie said...

Beautiful! :)
I wanted to play guitar when I was younger but my short fingers made it very tough.
Your WIP sounds really interesting! :)

Catch My Words said...

Do you ever dim the lights and play soft classical music while writing? Classic music is great for stirring up the writing mood. Good luck with the manuscripts.


Catch My Words
http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

Kittie Howard said...

Ahhh, finally, classical music! I, too, could listen to it all day. Understand about having short fingers as I've got 'em, too. Just couldn't get that stretch to work the keys.

Suzanne Payne said...

Love all those pieces. You'd think being a music major, I would listen to classical music all the time, but I don't...maybe I'm a rebel. lol
I love all those pieces though. I can play piano, but I don't in front of anybody...not that good anymore. I think my favorite is Claire de Lune. :)

Jarm Del Boccio said...

I'm just getting back to playing the piano after 35 years...and I am enjoying it. The Moonlight sonata was my Dad's favorite, and I suspect he dealt with depression as well. A novel way to introduce your book...great job! Enjoy the remainder of the challenge...

MakingTheWriteConnections

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

Precy Larkins's books on Goodreads
Winter's Regret: What Might Have Been Winter's Regret: What Might Have Been
reviews: 2
ratings: 4 (avg rating 5.00)

Followers

READING CHALLENGE

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Precy has read 10 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Blog Archive

My Blog List

BOOKS!!

Precy's bookshelf: read

Whispering Minds
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Night of Cake & Puppets
The Fault in Our Stars
The Return of the King
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
The Last Olympian
The Hundred: Fall of the Wents
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Hunger Games
Wonder
The Founders' Code
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
The Two Towers
The Book Thief
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
The Lost Hero
Divergent
The Battle of the Labyrinth


Precy Larkins's favorite books »