***********************************

Writing Is NOT Like A Box of Chocolates: A Meme

Writing is like…a tango dance.


Writing is tapping your feet to the beat of your heart, sultry notes pulsing under your skin, the flick of your wrist and the swish of your skirt. Backs rigid yet pliable, ready to yield, conform. Chin up straight, the angles sharp, focused.
And then the music begins.
Slow, languid…you take your time. Each word marked down is a burst of color, of life. Forming, twisting into patterns, step by step by step. Your shoulders tense, slightly arching, as the story unfolds.
Synchrony. Balance. Passion.


Control.
But! The rhythm moves sinuously, rising crescendo, as your characters fall in and out of love. Emotions raw like open wounds.  You slide down your partner’s body, leg stretching behind you, a form of surrender.
Let go.
Feel.
Ache.
Music pounding, thrumming inside your pores. You spin, you spin, you spin…. Words bleeding tears on white pages.


You dance. You write.



********
A.M. Supinger of Inner Owlet tagged me for this meme Writing Is NOT Like A Box of Chocolates. The goal is to come up with a metaphor--anything but chocolates--to answer the question, Writing is like...? I hope you enjoyed my own vision above.


The rules are simple:


>Come up with the metaphor.
>Tag 3 people.

I'm tagging the following people:
1. Anita Howard of A Still and Quiet Madness because she writes beautifully, and I'm sure she'll make us weep with her lovely metaphor and imagery. No pressure, Anita! Hehe.
2.Angela Cook of The Starving Novelist because she has just recently said goodbye to her first novel and is moving forward with a different vision. It'll be wonderful to see her insight on what writing is like for her at this phase.


3. Carissa of My Inner Stillness because this girl is one of the most hardworking writers I know. Her passion and determination is incredible, and I keep wishing it will rub off on me if I keep hanging out with her. You rock, my friend.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are spot on in regards to writing is more of an on-going evolving living element than a regimented skill.

Sometimes its the ability to let go of the fear and allow this strange little dance to lead that makes a difference from writing and not.

Thanks for another great post.

Anonymous said...

And like Tango, writing is totally SEXY. Says the girl in stained sweats and uncombed hair.

Great post Cherie!

Jennie Bennett said...

Perfect metaphor, that got me wanting to write!

Precy Larkins said...

Yes, Tango is so sexy. The thing about this dance is that you have to have perfect control, while at the same time, be able to let go.

Writing for me is very much that way. Control and letting go. Balance. =)

Caitlin said...

That was beautiful, Cherie!

Angela V. Cook said...

Dear Lord, you set the bar high!! lol. That was absolutely beautiful (and spot on)! I'm so not literary and lyrical, so mine will most definitly not be as pretty ;o) But I've been given a mission and will therefor fulfill it to the best of my ability! ;o)

Sarah said...

That's a great metaphor (says she who cannot dance to save her life)! And also--very well said.

ShanLeigh said...

A most perfect metaphor indeed. Lovely writing. I was totally seeing it, feeling it.

Anita Grace Howard said...

Oh, I LOVED your metaphor. So perfect. :) And your descriptions -- ahhh -- music in and of themselves, my dear. How am I supposed to follwo this??

Hee. Well, I'll give it my best shot ... sometime next week. Ever the procrastinator. LOL. Thanks sparkly pal!

Riley Redgate said...

This is so gorgeous, Cherie! :D

T.S. Welti said...

I agree that writing is a balance of control and letting go. Know the rules and know when to break them. Give and take. I love this post. :)

Anonymous said...

wonderful, so true. beautifully written and inspiring... one of my favorite posts :)
I find its good to sit out a dance or two to catch the breath if i find myself getting really swept away. At fisrt I thought taking little breaks would kill the magic but instaed it makes it last longer and is less exhausting after too!
(at least for me when i write)

-Rivercat



Crying With A Sense Of Human

Precy Larkins said...

Thank you for all of your heartwarming responses. I'm glad you all enjoyed this. =)

Carissa Andrews said...

Ooohhh... this is going to be fun! I'll work on this during the weekend... Look for it, probably Monday. :D

Thanks for tagging me! You, rock, too, woman!

A.M.Supinger said...

Loved your metaphor and your video! The tango is such a sexy, emotional dance, but I would never have made the connection between it and writing! So glad I tagged you :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is a perfect metaphor! And now I have a sudden urge to go dancing--for reelz!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic meme and metaphor.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

LTM said...

wow. That was fantastic! I needed a tango in my last MS... too bad I hadn't read this first! That was beautiful~ :o) <3

Unknown said...

Check my meme out...www.impactofthoughts.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

Precy Larkins's books on Goodreads
Winter's Regret: What Might Have Been Winter's Regret: What Might Have Been
reviews: 2
ratings: 4 (avg rating 5.00)

Followers

READING CHALLENGE

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Precy has read 10 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Blog Archive

My Blog List

BOOKS!!

Precy's bookshelf: read

Whispering Minds
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Night of Cake & Puppets
The Fault in Our Stars
The Return of the King
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
The Last Olympian
The Hundred: Fall of the Wents
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
The Hunger Games
Wonder
The Founders' Code
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
The Two Towers
The Book Thief
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
The Lost Hero
Divergent
The Battle of the Labyrinth


Precy Larkins's favorite books »